- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- Line an 8 inch square or round cake pan with waxed paper.
- Place egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a mixing bowl, beat with electric mixer until foamy.
- Beat in sugar gradually, continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Combine flour and cocoa and fold lightly into egg mixture.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake in 325 degree oven 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Loosen sides with a sharp knife.
- Turn out immediately onto a paper towel lined cake rack to cool.