- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 4 medium cooking apples (Golden Delicious or Jonathan)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar or 4 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice, for apples in case they start to turn brown
- 1⁄2 cup prepared caramel ice cream topping
- 1⁄3 cup toasted chopped pecan halves
- Cool Whip (optional)
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Thaw and unfold puff pastry.
- On lightly floured surface, roll the pastry into a 16" square.
- Cut with a knife into 4 equal pieces.
- Peel and core apples.
- Trim the bottoms so the apples sit flat.
- Place 1 apple in the center of each square.
- Use 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice if apples start to trun brown.
- Mix together the brown sugar or brown-sugar splenda, butter or margarine and cinnamon.
- Spoon into apples.
- Beat the egg and water together in a small bowl.
- Moisten the edge of the pastry with the mixture.
- Bring the pastry up around the apple, pleating the pastry as needed to form a seal.
- Place the dumplings in an ungreased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Brush them with remaining egg mixture, sprinkle with granulated sugar or splenda.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown.
- When ready to serve; heat the caramel sauce and the toasted pecans.
- Place a warm dumpling on a serving plate and drizzle the sauce over the top.
- Garnish with cool-whip or vanilla ice cream, if desired.