- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry (use the 2 sheets from a 17.3-ounce box)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- confectioners' sugar
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet, or line with parchment paper.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet for 40 minutes at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg and water.
- After 40 minutes, unfold the pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface, with the short side facing you.
- Spoon the apple mixture on the bottom half of the pastry to within 1-inch of the edges, then sprinkle with raisins (if using).
- Starting at the short side, roll up like a jelly roll.
- Place seam-side down on the baking sheet, then tuck ends under to seal.
- Brush with the egg mixture.
- Cut several 2-inch slits (2-inches apart) on top.
- Repeat with the next puff pastry (if you are making two strudels).
- Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on baking sheet on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.
- Slice and serve warm.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if desired.