1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 45 mins
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 dash cayenne (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a large square casserole dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with the onion, and add the remaining potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Pour cheese mixture over the potatoes, sprinkle with paprika and cover the dish with aluminium foil.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.