4 hrs 10 mins
- 1 bag dry beans (my favorite is a 15 bean mix)
- 4 -6 ham hocks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (more if desired)
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Wash beans and remove all gravel and such.
- Place beans, ham hocks, onions and garlic in a large dutch oven filled with water.
- Add spices.
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer on med-low heat for 4 to 5 hours, adding more water as needed.
- Remove hamhocks when they are tender and falling apart; allow to cool so they can be handled.
- Remove meat from ham hocks (discarding fat and bones) and return to the soup.