- 2 cups red and white quinoa (mixed)
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar or 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, more as needed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, more as needed
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped roma tomato
- 3⁄4 cup diced English cucumber (1/2 inch dice)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 3⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper (1/4 inch dice)
- 1 cup cooked red lentil
- 1 cup cooked mung beans
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly under cold water and drain.
- Bring 7 cups water to a boil in a 4 quart pot over high heat.
- Add 3/4 teaspoons salt; add quinoa, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally and adding more boiling water as needed to keep the quinoa covered, until tender (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Drain and rinse the quinoa with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Transfer quinoa to a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss lightly to coat.
- Spread the quinoa on the baking sheet and cool completely at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Put vinegar and lemon juice in a small bowl and gradually whisk in the 1/3 cup olive oil (vinaigrette).
- Whisk in lemon zest; taste; season with salt, pepper and additional vinegar and lemon juice or olive oil as needed.
- Place cooked and cooled quinoa in large serving bowl and toss to break up any clumps.
- Add tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, bell peppers, lentils, mung beans, parsley plus 1/2 cup vinaigrette and toss.
- Taste and season as needed with more vinaigrette, salt and pepper.
- Serve or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- If making ahead, allow salad to sit at room temperature so it's not refrigerator-cold and season with more vinaigrette, salt and pepper before serving.